The Socialpunk Trilogy: Interview with Monica Leonelle - C. S. Dorsey
"And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. Your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions." Joel 2:28

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Socialpunk Trilogy: Interview with Monica Leonelle

Interview with Monica Leonelle

Author of The Socialpunk Trilogy


Monica Leonelle is a well-known digital media strategist and the author of three novels. She blogs at Prose on Fire (http://proseonfire.com) and shares her writing and social media knowledge with other bloggers and authors through her Free Writer Toolkit (http://proseonfire.com/free-writer-toolkit).

1. When did you start writing? And what motivated you to do so? 

I started a Gen Y blog in 2007 called Twenty Set. It actually gained quite a bit of steam early on, but eventually I moved away from Gen Y topics. The reason I started that blog, though, is because I couldn't clear my mind! I literally just needed to get things out of my system. So I wrote that blog 4-5 times a week for about six months until my ideas stop churning so quickly. My love for writing as an adult grew out of that experience.

2. How did you come up with the idea for The Social Punk Trilogy? 

Socialpunk is a bit like The Truman Show meets The Terminator, except Mark Zuckerburg is president of the world. I wanted to do a cyberpunk and Socialpunk is classically cyberpunk, down to its roots. I loved the idea of being trapped in a virtual reality, and then acclimating to the real world.

3. If you had a chance to collaborate with any author who would it be? 

You know, I feel like I would have a hard time collaborating. I'm just a control freak about writing. I hope in a few years I could humble myself to take another writer's criticism. So, can I pick a director instead? I'd love to collaborate with James Cameron (and yes, I realize this will never in a million years actually happen). I pretty much love every movies Cameron has ever done, and he did Terminator, and Avatar, and he's just an incredible visual artist and world-builder. So yes, he would be amazing. I could learn so much from him.

4. What do you do in your spare time when your not writing? 

I do a lot of marketing and promotion for my books and my editing services. For example, right now anyone can get a free "First 1000" email consult if they have a manuscript. I give the person detailed feedback on how marketable and hooking the first 1000 words of the book are. You can learn more at proseonfire.com/free-consultations.

5. If you was to win the $360 million dollar lottery, what is the first thing you would buy?

 I would pay off my student loans first! And then I'd probably buy some expensive jewelry. And maybe a downtown Chicago loft.

6. Are you a Twilight fan? If so are you team Jacob or team Edward? 

I'm definitely a Twilight fan (though not a Twihard). I'm team Jacob because I never really got over Edward leaving in Book 2. I was so mad at him and then couldn't forgive him afterwards... and Jacob was pure sunshine. I think of the two, Jacob deserved Bella more (though it works out, of course).

7. Last question...What can your readers expect from The Socialpunk Trilogy? 

 Well, the first book centers on Ima and how she handles herself through essentially two different dystopian futures. The second book expands the world and trades off between Ima's POV and another character's POV (I won't say who just yet). I don't think I could say much else because I'd be spoiling things!

To find more information about The Socialpunk Trilogy go to http://socialpunktrilogy.com/  The Socialpunk Trilogy by Monica Leonelle includes Socialpunk (April 2012), Socialmob (July 2012), and Socialhood (October 2012).
C.S. Dorsey 2017. Powered by Blogger.

@templatesyard